Skip to main content

Happy National Poetry Month! Be Inspired.

Unicorn Book of Magic Greeting Card by Trudi Simmonds
Happy National Poetry Month! Throughout April, I hope you notice the light being shone upon poetry where you live, in classrooms, and in the media. I am excited to see the beautiful, inspiring, whimsical & funny poems that this month brings.  There are so many different ways that poetry can look & feel – and all are worth exploring! Today, I am sharing the poetry that first fascinated me & still keeps my heart today – inspirational, magical children’s poetry. As a mother, I can now experience it anew with my children.

My daughter loves art of all kinds. We have bins bulging full of colored pencils, markers, crayons and paints – sketching pads, note pads, papers of all colors, shapes and sizes. Her drawings are often of rainbows, family members, friends, school, playgrounds, animals – real things that she has seen, touched and experienced. People she loves. But lately, her drawings feature magical creatures. Here is her drawing, and my poem for today.
Unicorn
There she stands
beauty, white as snow
cascading mane upon her neck
her satiny purple eyes aglow. 

There she stands
high upon a mountaintop
next to a rainbow
shining in its colourful light.

There she stands
glorious creature of the clouds
holding her head high
proud to be alive and free!

There she stands
a symbol for those who believe
letting those who do
see the magic she beholds.

There she stands
making wishes comes true
and people into believers
for she is 
a Unicorn. 
Copyright Stacie Eirich April 20, 2018
Seeing her drawing and reading the poem I wrote, I think of how children remind us of the magic all around us, if only we allow ourselves to see and believe. Reading, writing, poetry, music – the arts – offer so many ways to enrich our souls and cultivate creativity. I hope that my daughter will always have a love of creating, of dreaming, and mostly that she’ll never stop believing in magic – and in herself.

Thanks for stopping by my Author Blog. Have a magical day! -Stacie 
p.s. Below is a beautiful video, a spoken word poem that expresses the wonder of a child and encourages adults to recapture that wonder. Never stop wondering, imagining, & dreaming! This is the heart of children’s poetry.


Comments